There’s a reason for the row of hard hats hanging on the wall in Chip Bachara’s office. The founding partner of Bachara Construction Law group has spent his entire life in and around the construction industry.
Following in the footsteps of his father, a WWII veteran who returned from the Pacific and became a homebuilder in Jacksonville, Chip literally learned the business from the ground up. He worked as a laborer for his father’s company while in high school, then earned a degree in Building Construction from the University of Florida and obtained his certified general contractor’s license.
After working for two of Jacksonville’s largest commercial construction companies, Chip earned a law degree from Mercer University. Since that time, he has practiced exclusively in the area of construction litigation. He served as an associate with Bedell, Dittmar, DeVault & Pillans (now known as the Bedell Firm), and as an associate and partner with Baumer, Bradford & Walters, which later merged with Smith, Gambrell & Russell. He formed Bachara Construction Law group in 2007 to represent a full range of clients including government entities, private developers and owners, contractors, trade contractors, sureties and insurers in construction disputes, including construction defect claims.
Chip is Board Certified in Construction Law, serves an arbitrator for complex construction disputes, and is a Florida Supreme Court-Certified mediator. Committed to the highest standards of excellence, he has been AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell since 1991 and named multiple times in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, Florida Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America®, which recently named him Jacksonville’s “Construction Lawyer of the Year” for the third time. Chip was reappointed for a third term on the Fourth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission in 2018. Originally appointed in 2011, he served as chair from 2012-2014. In 2016, he was named to the inaugural class of Jacksonville’s “Ultimate Attorneys” by his peers and the Jacksonville Business Journal, an honor he received again in 2020, when the “Best of the Bar” class was chosen from a slate of the four previous years’ honorees.
In addition to being active in professional organizations, including service as a former chair of The Florida Bar Standing Committee on Professionalism and as a member of The Florida Bar’s Construction Law Institute Committee, Chip has served on the board of the Northeast Florida Homebuilders Association and is a former chair of the Florida Home Builders Association Legal Action Committee. A Trustee of JaxChamber (the Jacksonville Regional Chamber of Commerce) and a 2018 graduate of Leadership Jacksonville, he has also served as a member of the St. John’s Cathedral Properties Committee since 2011.
Chip is a lifelong resident of Jacksonville. He and his wife of more than 25 years, Carrie, are the proud parents of a daughter and a son.
Learn the advantages of Board Certification by viewing the video below.
• Licensed general contractor
(CG C026027) (inactive)
• Board Certified in Construction Law
by The Florida Bar
HONORS & AWARDS
• AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
• Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion Silver Award 2018
• Fourth Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission
Appointed 2011, Chair 2012, Reappointed 2014 & 2018
• “Florida Legal Elite” 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2019, Florida Trend Magazine
• “Ultimate Attorney” 2016 (Inaugural Class) and 2020, Jacksonville Business Journal
• Jacksonville Construction Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2017 & 2019, Best Lawyers in America®
• Best Lawyers in America 2009-2012; 2014-2020
• Florida Super Lawyers 2006-2020
• The Florida Bar, 1987
• Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. DISTRICT COURT ADMISSIONS
• U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
• The Florida Bar
Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section
Construction Law Committee Member
• Jacksonville Bar Association
• American Bar Association
Member Forum, Committee on the Construction Industry
• Associated Builders & Contractors, Florida First Coast Chapter
• St. Johns Cathedral Properties Committee
• Leadership Jacksonville (Class of 2018)
• JaxChamber Trustee
• Harvard University, Program on Negotiation, 2014
• Mercer University School of Law, J.D., May 1986
• University of Florida, Bachelor of Building Construction, December 1982