Russ Campbell is a sports agent and the founding partner of Balch Sports, the firm’s sports and entertainment practice. Russ has more than two decades of experience as a sports agent, representing collegiate football, baseball, and basketball coaches, NFL coaches, and NFL players. Alongside Patrick Strong, Russ has built a practice that serves many well-respected and emerging football and baseball coaches.
Russ is also Chairman of the Litigation, Trial and Appellate Practice and represents clients in joint use (pole attachment) work, energy-related litigation, complex commercial litigation, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) claims, and shoreline/reservoir management, including dam safety.
Known to clients as a brilliant strategist, Russ thrives on the variety of working with both individuals and organizations – helping his sports clients maximize opportunities and build their careers, and helping his other clients to either avoid or successfully resolve litigation. He is a frequent speaker and writer on both sports law and joint-use issues.
SELECT MATTERS – Balch Sports
• Dabo Swinney, Clemson: Negotiated second biggest contract in college football history (2017).
• Dave Aranda, LSU: Negotiated biggest coordinator contracts in college football history (2017 & 2018) following a top five defensive coordinator contract (2016).
• Larry Fedora, North Carolina: Negotiated biggest football coaching contract in school history (2016).
• Tom Allen, Indiana: Negotiated biggest first-time head coaching contract in school history (2017).
• Geoff Collins, Temple: Negotiated biggest first-time head coaching contract in school history and one of the biggest first-time head coaching contracts in AAC history (2017).
• Mike Bobo, Colorado State: Negotiated biggest coaching contract in school history (2018) following biggest first-time head coaching contract in MWC and school history. (2015).
• Seth Littrell, North Texas: Negotiated biggest contract in CUSA and school history (2018) following biggest contract in school history (2017) and biggest first-time head coaching contract in school history (2016).
• Philip Montgomery, Tulsa: Negotiated biggest head football coaching contract in school history (2017) following significant compensation increase over previous head coach (2015).
• Neal Brown, Troy: Negotiated biggest contract in school history (2017) following biggest contract for first-time head coach in school history (2015).
• Gene Chizik, North Carolina: Negotiated biggest coordinator contract in school history and top five in ACC history (2016).
• Manny Diaz, Miami: Negotiated biggest coordinator contracts in school history (2016 & 2018).
• Mike Bianco, Ole Miss: Negotiated biggest baseball coaching contracts in school history (2014 & 2016)
• John Szefc, Virginia Tech: Negotiated biggest baseball coaching contract in school history (2017).
SELECT MATTERS – Litigation
• Energy litigation: Represented investor-owned utility (IOU) in multi-jurisdictional litigation concerning failed energy markets, imbalance tariffs, adequate assurances under forward power contracts, RICO violations, and control area tariffs.
• Corporate landowner: Defended putative class action involving claims of fraud and conspiracy arising from closure of residential mobile home park on managed reservoir.
• Joint use/pole attachments: Representing multiple electric utility (pole owners) before the Federal Communications Commission, trial courts, and appellate courts concerning communications company attachments, including National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) issues.
• Smart grid issues: Represent IOUs concerning smart grid infrastructure, bandwidth issues, automated meters, and emerging trends.
• U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 1995
• U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama, 1996
• U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama, 1991
• U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1991
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1996
• U.S. Supreme Court, 2001
• Supreme Court of Florida, 1991
• Supreme Court of Alabama, 1991
HONORS & AWARDS
• AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
• The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2016-present
• Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, 2016-present
• Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorney, 2012. 2018, 2020
• Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2014 – present
• Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2013 – present
• Alabama State Bar, Intellectual Property, Entertainment, & Sports Section
• Birmingham Bar Foundation, Fellow
• The Florida Bar, Sports & Entertainment Section
• Birmingham Bar Association
• Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
• Florida, 1991
• Alabama, 1995
• Texas, 2013
• The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 1991, Dean M. Leigh Harrison Scholar
• Troy University, B.S., 1988, magna cum laude